4th Grade Operations & Algebraic Thinking: 7 Math Games
4th Grade Operations & Algebraic Thinking: 7 Math Games
These seven games cover every CCSS-aligned fourth-grade operations and algebraic thinking topic for only $1 each! The games reinforce the 4.OA.A.1, 4.OA.A.2, 4.OA.A.3, 4.OA.B.4, and 4.OA.C.5 standards, including skills such as:
• Interpreting multiplication as a comparison
• Recognizing and using multiplication strategies
• Writing multiplication equations
• Multiplying and dividing to solve multistep word problems
• Using all four operations to solve word problems
• Choosing the operation in one- and two-step word problems
• Recognizing prime and composite numbers up to 100
• Identifying the factors of a number up to 100
• Generating, analyzing, and continuing patterns
• Explaining the rules for a pattern using properties of operations
Although the games are perfect for two-player math stations, math centers, math tubs, etc., you can engage your students in meaningful problem-solving discussions by having them all play the same game at the same time for about 10 minutes per day. This is a math partner game routine I've created and explained thoroughly in the preview download.
These are the three main benefits to having all kids play the same game at the same time: 1) You can conduct mini-lessons and strategy discussions around shared experiences before and after game play, 2) You can focus on facilitating critical thinking and observing students' problem-solving attempts during game play, and 3) Students play the same game for a week, so you have lots of targeted opportunities for reinforcing higher-level thinking skills, identifying and addressing misconceptions, and scaffolding student learning.
There are so many games included in this product that you can play some during math partner game routines, use some as small group lessons or whole class lesson activities, place some in your math centers, and even send some home for students to play with their families! The game cards and resources can double as student manipulatives during math lessons. Each and every one of these versatile games features:
- Integration of higher-level thinking and critical thinking skills (not just rote practice)
- Hands-on activities through which kids actively construct knowledge: no worksheets!
- Options for open-ended game play so that students are not "finished" until time is up
- "Challenge" activities to extend game play and/or differentiate it
- "Math Talk" questions/prompts to encourage students to analyze strategies and reflect orally or in writing about what they're learning
These two-player math games were created for (not retro-fitted to) the increased rigor of the CCSS, so they will be challenging for most students. The games are designed to help you model and reinforce the math practices and core content skills that students will need when solving complex, multi-step word problems. Here's what you'll get in the product download:
* 20 pages of info and forms that contain everything you need to get started with math partner games. There are blank partner game lists, tips (with photos!) for how to create/ store/ organize/ distribute/ collect the games, and lots of ideas for how the games can be used for skill-based mini lessons and math journal reflections.
* 7 pages of game instructions: there's one page for each game, featuring the materials needed, directions for game play, a Challenge activity, Math Talk
questions/prompts, the CCSS alignment, and student-friendly "I Can" statements.
* 37 pages of old-fashioned sweets-themed game boards, cards, and other colorful and fun materials for game play. Most of the materials are open-ended and can be used in lots of different ways so you have fewer items to print and create. The only additional items you need to provide are paperclips to make spinners.
UPDATED: PRINT AND GO! You now get a zip folder with your purchase that includes individual PDFs for each game! If you only want to print and use one game at a time, you can easily print just the PDF with that game’s instructions and materials.
PLEASE NOTE: I have adapted each game concept to meet the level of rigor required at the corresponding grade level, and no two games are exactly alike. However, because there is some overlap in the CCSS between grade levels, some of the games and materials in the 1st-5th grade operations and algebraic thinking products are similar. Please keep this in mind when considering whether to purchase games for multiple grade levels.
See what other teachers are saying!
Wonderful games that kept my student engaged for long periods of time with challenging problem solving and critical thinking skills. - Tracy N.
My students love these games, so often I hear, "Math is fun!" Can't get better than that! - Anonymous Buyer
Great activities! I have ordered three other packs from you and absolutely love them! The students are engaged and often ask when we will be playing the games again. It takes a little time to get them set up, but with the help of a parent volunteer, I have them all set and ready to go whenever I decide to use them. Sometimes I even use them as fast finisher games. - Rachel D.
This is such an outstanding project. It was just what I was looking for to perk up the Math class, differentiate, and make learning fun. The games are aligned to the Common Core and address so many 4th grade skills. Thank you so much for sharing this. - Anonymous Buyer
Kids have such fun and learn a lot. A perfect combination. - Kathy W.
I'm glad I bought this before school started! It will take a lot of work to get the centers put together and up and running but the kids will love having these during math time! - Chelsae L.
This product looks amazing. Since it's July (yeah!), I won't be using them until school starts up. I can tell that my students will love the activities AND I love the detailed ideas for organizing them. Thank you! - Carol
You might also like:
4th Grade Fractions and Decimals Math Partner Games: 14 Games for Common Core
4th Grade Geometry Math Partner Games: 8 CCSS games for lines, angles, & symmetry
4th Grade Number and Operations in Base Ten: 12 Partner Games for CCSS
Be sure to check out my website where there are hundreds of pages of classroom management resources that make teaching more effective, efficient, and enjoyable! You'll find photos, activities, printable forms/posters, and more.